10 February 2009

Sew Mama Sew: Tell us about your stash!


What do you usually sew?
Book covers, bibs, purse organisers, soft furnishings and all kinds of bags.

When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don’t have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?)
Typically ½ yard and one yard. I’ll buy ½ yard if the fabric is expensive, or if it’s a small scale print (which means I’ll use the fabric for little pouches, etc). I’ll buy a full yard if the fabric is on sale, or if it’s a large scale print I love.

Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need?
On impulse. Always on impulse.

Are you a pre-washer? If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you’re ready to use it?
I always pre-wash. The fabric won’t make it to the cupboard unless it’s washed and ironed. I prefer to do it this way because when I want to start a new project I want the fabric to be immediately available.

Do you iron it?
Yes! But it’s such a chore; there are always some stubborn creases that won’t go away.

How do you sort it? (color, print size, collection, etc.)
By colour: blue, red, pink, yellow & orange, green & brown, grey & black.

Do you have any special folding techniques?
Not at the moment, no, but I really want to try out that ruler technique.

How do you store your fabric?
In a designated cupboard in my sewing room/dining room/office.

What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash?
I try to balance floral and novelty prints with polka dots and ginghams.

When do you say enough is enough?
I stop when I feel I can’t afford it anymore. I’ll wait some weeks and then I’ll buy again!

What are some of your favorite stash-busting projects?
I really want to start quilting. I think that will eat up most of my stash…

Do you have a current favorite print in your stash? Let’s see it!
Here it is!

What’s your definition of the perfect stash? (Consider sharing a picture or two of your stash & storage, or direct us to a pic on Flickr!)
Stash pictures I love: this (great display), this (impressive collection), this (so neat!) and this (great bookcase).
-
[questions from Sew, Mama, Sew!; more participants here]
-
(image: Constança Cabral)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us (yeah, you guessed right, the newest IKEA family magazine arrived today in the mail). I love all the individual details, especially your bedcover and matching pillow as well as the shelves in the kitchen with the cans and plates . And also your blog features some great ideas, hope you don't mind if i come back on a regular base. Best wishes from Austria, Kathi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful stash, and if I was to answer these questions, a lot of my answers would be the same (always pre-wash!) I've never seen Ikea family in Canada, too bad because the article looks great. Congratulations! -Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment; do come again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...